Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Форель


We Skype. It's a great alternative to international telephone. Any other form of "video chat" would do. It's not the same as telephone. Both parties must have high speed ISP, web cam and a microphone.

She told me the Russian word for "trout" was форель.

I said: "What we call a fish, by any other name would smell as sweet."

(blank stare)

I asked: "You ever heard of Romeo and Juliet?"

"Да." She answered.

"Well, that's a line from Ronny and Жанна," I explained.

(blank stare)

"Never mind, honey. Nobody else understands my humor, either," I said.

I told her I would save the caviar from the Wyoming cutthroat I just ate. Nobody around here eats it. But, caviar is a Russian delicacy and Жанна loves it.

She told me it will rot if not properly preserved. I told her I don't know how. She said she would send a recipe. But, she hasn't done that yet. I guess I'll just toss it back into the river.

Maybe a male will find it and fertilize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment