Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bonnie and Clyde


I once had a wife with a knack of destroying shoe stores. There was a trail of debris including shoes, boxes, tissue paper, etc, from where she entered to the exit. You could almost see Al Bundy cowering in the debris.

But, I never saw anyone do a bank before Виктория. Banks can be very frustrating in Киев.

I shipped my motorcycle on a container ship from NY harbor. I received notice that it made port in Одеса. (Odessa) I had to pay the freight jockeys to offload and manage the paperwork for customs, etc. So, I needed to wire money to their bank.

The bank in Киев had Western Union, but I couldn't use it without an account. I couldn't get an account because I wasn't a citizen. So, my lady, Жанна, opened an account. She never had a bank account before.

After a couple of hours of humiliating frustration and reams of paperwork including photocopies of passport and dozens of signatures, she went berserk. Her concern was a broken fingernail. Mine was attracting police.

We were finally successful at transferring $500--. We went to Глория Кафе to celebrate. The people there just love the Yankee biker tramp and my Russian lady. We told them she's Bonnie, I'm Clyde. We do banks. They rob us. We danced and drank the evening away.

No comments:

Post a Comment